Day 943, January 11, 2023

Company

A cold quiet evening, 
the dog is thirsty for companionship 
as I build the fire, 
release the cat from the bedroom, 
eat a handful of wasabi almonds, 
pour myself a glass of juice. 

I can feel the emptiness in my fingers and my toes, 
the chill never quite leaving since this morning 
when I stepped out of my robe and slippers 
onto the stone tile of the bathroom floor. 

I remember walking across a dew dappled lawn in summer, 
before even the moose were stirring 
and my feet were soaked through. 
I had to wring out my socks and hang them up to dry 
like a pauper’s Christmas. 

My wife hasn’t left me because the marzipan is still on the coffee table 
and the dog. 
But still, 
the quiet. 
I might close my eyes. 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 1003, March 13, 2023

Day 999, March 9, 2023

Day 998, March 8, 2023