Day 892, November 21, 2022

Checking My Pockets 

A numbered set of index cards, a prepared stream of consciousness speech about sexuality and identity, an assignment from a marriage therapist. I was born outside. 20 feet and 46 feet. There is a poem about a bone removed being like a log slipping from the hearth, embers still glowing. Where did you sleep last night? We’ll be in it together instead of in secret. 

I used to rifle through all my jacket pockets looking for a forgotten pack of cigarettes. I can still smell the stale tobacco, the old paper and cellophane. Now I only find old index cards, tissue paper, rubber bands, and ball point pens. 

How much you can tell of a man from what you find in his jacket pockets? It is archeology and anthropology conducted in the aisles of Salvation Army and Goodwill Stores. The napkin from a hotel in Baltimore. A collection of hair ties.

A girlfriend’s father cataloged houses of the deceased. We went once and walked through the closets with him. For years afterwards, I wore the fake leather belt of a dead man, until the stitching came loose and the piles separated.

My jackets are missing buttons, zipper pulls, and have a repaired hem where a Korean tailor stitched a patch into a missing section of wool. The corduroy at the elbows is nearly worn through. I wore that jacket since the beginning of my teaching career. I wore that overcoat when I met my wife for the first time. The other sport coat was my stylish one and was what I wore to weddings. It has stripes. 

I used to chew gum, so many of my pockets feel like talcum powder, the way some packets of gum go soft when you forget about them and leave them in a coat pocket for six months, or a year. Do not eat these discovered packages of gum because the stick loses cohesion and becomes something unpleasant.

A jacket is only a thing, an object made of thread. It is unreasonable to imagine a life impregnated in the cloth, bodies hugged, babies carried, toasts given. In this pocket is the bio for Sut Jhally, who I must have introduced before a talk at the college, and on the back of that, a list of people to search for, and the title of a Jack London story. Just earlier today someone was talking about Jack London, The Call of the Wild, and I said, No, it was Ursula Le Guin’s Left Hand of Darkness. Someone else talked about the how the book was about a long trek through a desolate winter landscape, and I stayed silent and didn’t say, No, the book is about love.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 1003, March 13, 2023

Day 999, March 9, 2023

Day 998, March 8, 2023