Day 713, June 15, 2022

Biological Clock

Bodies remember, 
even when we forget. 
Like a distant lover, 
a teasing bus stop taunt, 
a few taut words uttered out of a moving car, 
can feel it in the fingers, 
in the hands, 
where the ribs meet the spine, 
deep in the hip. 

I am reminded that I am clumsy 
when I bruise my shin, 
scrape my calf. 
There are days when one 
should be more careful. 
I hear people whispering as I close my eyes. 
Look, there is the clumsy man. 
But I am only clumsy 
because my body remembers what it is like 
to stack a cord of wood. 

My body remembers it has arms like lobster claws, 
and for a few days afterwards 
my hands feel like mittens. 

I am tired today, 
because my body remembers. 

My eyes recall looking too long at the sun, 
studying the tight grain of wood fibers, 
counting freckles by candlelight, 
that is why I can not see so well anymore. 

And my ears, 
they remember crickets, 
like a field of fireflies, 
the peepers. 

A tired body is a body that remembers, 
and reminds me better than I do, 
that there are days that have passed 
and so many reasons to reach out to say hello.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 1003, March 13, 2023

Day 999, March 9, 2023

Day 998, March 8, 2023