Day 678 May 11, 2022

Counting the Days

I pass the time 
by counting how many ponds 
I pass in my days. 

The black birds 
with red shoulders 
flit along the already tall reeds. 

I am speckled with bugs. 
I am a bug eater. 

There is a dead animal 
that reminds me of other dead animals, 
a pregnant opossum’s teats. 

I carry heavy things, 
which is why I eat so much, 
because I need to carry heavy things. 

I covered her with sawdust to hide the smell. 
It was a shallow grave on the side of the road 
near where I once found a broken guitar pedal, 
like a fractured manna from heaven. 

I could not lift her in the shovel. 
Not easily. 
A shovel is an awkward tool with a heavy object. 

Ducks hiding their heads under water like ostriches. 
They are making faces at the mud and tree roots. 

A pond is like a relic, 
something that remains after everything else is gone. 
A glacial footprint. 
A logger’s impasse. 
That is one day. 
Day one of many.

Leverett Pond



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 1003, March 13, 2023

Day 999, March 9, 2023

Day 998, March 8, 2023