Day 656 April 19, 2022

Rendered

Every day, 
the grocery store poet said to me. 
Every day I write my list of things to cross off. 
Every day,
 said the car mechanic poet. 
Every day I shape letters out of oil stains on concrete, 
on coveralls, 
on receipts for services rendered. 
Every day, 
the dog walker poet said to me. 
Every day I pick up shit in my bare hands. 

I looked at her with sad eyes. 
The day was wilting slowly, 
like it was uncertain of the time. 
I could smell someone smoking a cigarette 
out behind the cafeteria. 
A large military cargo plane pushed its way 
through a slow sky. 

But I, 
said the dog walking poet, 
was the first one to hear the peepers. 

I could taste the air like a worm tastes the earth. 

Place it on me, the dog walking poet said. 
And I placed the fanged spider upon her curled pate. 

You could do worse than writing poems about dog excrement, 
she said. 

I thought I should call a financial planner. 
My metal tool shed is slowly disassembling itself. 

A poem, she said, could be about compost. 
All the things you did not eat that day. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 1003, March 13, 2023

Day 999, March 9, 2023

Day 998, March 8, 2023