Day 621 March 15, 2022

Remembering to Say Goodbye 

Sometimes it is better to leave things untouched. 
An open mouth attracts flies. 
An exposed belly, a fillet knife. 
When I was little, my uncle goaded me to ride 
the rollercoaster. 
I had finally achieved the required height,
But in the last moment, I demurred, 
not knowing that wooden rollercoaster days were numbered, 
and memories are easily disassembled 
into artifacts auctioned off to the highest bidder. 
I might have bought a carousel horse, 
or maybe a cotton candy machine. 
Who does not love a memory of cotton candy, 
or the delightfully smooth flank and mane of a colorfully harnessed steed? 
Listening to an old voice reminded me of how tired I had become,
how disappointing it was to live with regret, 
the boy’s fingers out stretched, to this tall. 
A little thing, 
a series of digits, 
that are nothing to me except as a metaphor, 
the way a bowlful of shaved ice 
is still just water. 
I don’t have to pretend to be shorter or taller than I am, 
anymore. 
I can listen for the whistling in the wind, 
the old wood frames creaking in the strain, 
and carefully, 
I can almost hear the gleeful screaming.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 1003, March 13, 2023

Day 999, March 9, 2023

Day 998, March 8, 2023