Day 476, October 14, 2021

Cadence

I imagine that I will write a review of my bicycle and that it will become a resource for when people search online to shop for an e-bike from 2018. I pretend that I’ll write about how I rode it first without any changes, because I wanted to learn how it felt, how it handled, and despite concerns I read about online, I liked the feel, and mostly felt comfortable. But then I had a crick in my neck, a crick in my back, and then things began to hurt, so I finally broke down and bought a suspension seat post, and my first ride with the new post, the pain is gone. The saddle was comfortable again. I am unclear if that is the power of suggestion, or the effect of elastomer seat mounts. I would write about how riding an e-bike it like going for a long walk every day, at the start of the day and at the end. Sometimes, I lose myself in my thoughts and I realize I have ridden past the beaver swamp area, where I always look to see if I can catch a beaver, but never do. Or like today, I saw what I thought was a particularly interesting leaf, but it was really a flattened chipmunk. Riding through the hills of Western Massachusetts on an e-bike is like someone has pulled the topography smoother, like drawing down the wrinkled sheets on a bed. Not completely smooth, but smooth enough that steep hills are gentle hills, gentle hills that can go on for a long time, but are manageable gentle hills. And then, sailing down the far side of the hill, one can rise up tall on the pedals, billow one’s arms, and become a human parachute with the wind roaring in your ears so loud you almost hear voices of automobiles, trucks, and you glance to check, but there is nobody, it is just the wind, the wood, the deer, the turkeys, the stream, the river, the stonewall, the wood fence, the driveway, the pebbles on the road, all whizzing by.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 1003, March 13, 2023

Day 999, March 9, 2023

Day 998, March 8, 2023