Day 498, July 28, 2021

Plague of Mosquitoes 

Tonight's soundtrack: ZZ Top, Bonnaroo, 2013

The mosquitoes are out and swarming with a vengeance. Just walking the dog is a test of one's fortitude as I attempt to maintain forward motion while swatting at my arms neck and face. And god forbid I have to stop and bag a poop or something, then the mosquitoes lodge in my ears or fly up a nostril. It is not pleasant. It feels like another facet of the pandemic along with the forest fire skies, torrential rain, and sudden windstorms. 

A few weeks ago it felt like the pandemic was coming to an end and we gleefully lost the mask habit, but in recent days the feelings of uncertainty have returned. We are continuing forward. Next week, I'll start working from my office for the first time. Over the next two days I'll move whatever I might need, bring over my spare sports coat, maybe a couple of plants. Today, I ordered some new masks to wear at work. And then things will be different. 

I think part of my current malaise is the need for a vacation. I wish I could run out to the backyard and tap my hands in a T shape and somewhere a great whistle would blow, like the whistle marking the end of the day in those old Flintstones cartoons. Then, I could spend a day resting. Maybe I'd play with some music ideas. Maybe I would start revising the fiction I've been working on. 

But, I still have a few more weeks to go. I need to finish the class I'm teaching, prep the big projects that are on deck for the fall, and keep helping students as they navigate the same uncertainty we are all facing.

I am happy that I managed to play two gigs in the last two weeks. It felt great to be playing in front of people again. Playing music is so ephemeral, there is such a small moment in time when one basks in the feeling of a well played tune, a gig that is going well. It is addictive, the desire to do it again, to experience the moment like that and share it with a few other folks who happen to be there.

I got to see a couple of concerts at Tanglewood, and saw my brother's family. The kids visited and we ate good food, and I practiced being a parent again.

There is more on the horizon. It is all there just waiting for us. I can't wait to jump in... maybe just after my vacation in a few weeks.

Take care and be well,
Leo



From Our Friends:

From 18 Million Rising:

On Thursday July 29 we’re hosting a free practice lab with MediaJustice where you can apply your skills from our Digital Organizing 101 training. If you’re already familiar with digital organizing, sign up too!

Spots are first come, first serve so make sure you register today for tomorrow’s lab.

From the Transforming Racial Justice Program:

1.  Essential Partners staff contributed these 3 Tips for Transitioning Back  

 

Communicate with intention: The pandemic has revealed many dysfunctional communication cycles that existed before the virus changed all our lives, such as the ways that parents, teachers, and administrators communicate (or fail to communicate). If we want to break those cycles as we transition to a post-pandemic life—or stop them before they have a chance to set in—we need to embrace more intentional communication norms. It’s simpler than it sounds. One way to be more intentional in the way you communicate is by asking yourself, what is my purpose in this conversation? What am I learning about this different person or view? Am I speaking to be heard and understood? Is there a question I can ask to learn more about other views? The virus is not going away. Returning to work and school will certainly lead to more hard conversations later. We need to think of intentional communication as a core competency for our post-pandemic future. 

 

Slow down and listen: In a conflict, people often rush to act. They want to solve the problem or show that they are taking responsibility. But the best response to a crisis usually begins with listening. Making space for people to share their hopes, concerns, and experiences can help them feel heard, which opens the door to mutual trust and creative thinking. The deliberate, inclusive work of listening will set a solid foundation for collective decisions. Moving too quickly, on the other hand, could leave people feeling excluded or ignored. That alienation can fray important relationships and produce self-sustaining cycles of conflict. The antidote is simple: take time to reflect, listen, and connect before jumping into a decision.


Check out your assumptions: The last year has changed us. It has made visible many things that used to be more difficult to see: what we value, what we can and cannot live without, old patterns of communication, workplace dynamics, and the strength of our relationships. We may be tempted to assume that nothing will change once we return, or to assume that everything will be different. These types of assumptions lead to conflict, confusion, and anxiety. If we don’t articulate the changes we want—or don’t want—we are much more likely to fall into dysfunctional patterns of behavior and communication.  

 

2. Art of Gathering by Priya Parker 

The Gathering Makeover, a free four-part video series to re-imagine how we spend our collective time as we ease back into our communities.

 

3. Racial Equity Tools

This site offers tools, research, tips, curricula, and ideas for people who want to increase their own understanding and/or help those working for racial justice at every level – in systems, organizations, communities, and the culture at large










Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 1003, March 13, 2023

Day 999, March 9, 2023

Day 998, March 8, 2023