Day 238, November 9, 2020

Learning to Type

Today's Soundtrack: The Ron Carter Quintet, Jazz San Javier, 2009

I used to think of writing like playing an instrument. I suppose that harkened back to when I was working more on typewriters, but even the older computer keyboards were more mechanical, more musical, than the modern flat things I flit over today. I have read about gaming keyboards that are famed for their mechanical qualities, and are often backlit with color changing leds... perhaps I'll look into one of those at some point. 

It is funny to think back at how resistant I was at learning typing. Back in my freshman year of high school there was still the remnants of a secretarial program where two faculty taught the rudiments of shorthand, typing, and I do not know what else. I always associated them with the home economics departments, cooking classes and sewing, and maybe even the wood shop and craft courses, but I imagine they would have objected. The short hand instructor I remember (incorrectly, I am sure) as the crabby stenographer from the television show, Night Court. I never took one of her classes. The typing teacher was thin, dapper man, who dressed impeccably, in comparison to his colleagues, and wore stylish saddle shoes.

By the time I was a freshman in high school, computers had already permeated our world. I learned to program on a Timex Sinclair that saved the painstakingly typed programs onto a standard audio cassette tape. I learned to navigate the world of Castle Wolfenstein using the wonderfully tactile keyboard of Bernie Rhee's Apple II, which stored data on floppy discs. And using my own Apple IIc, I monopolized the phone line dialing into BBS (Bulletin Board Systems) reading everything that titillated a young pubescent boy (it is funny that the politicians were fearful of heavy metal music and rap). 

All through my computing early years, I managed to type somewhat proficiently using the fewest fingers possible, sometimes using only the pointer fingers of each hand. I was actually pretty fast, as long as I could also look at the keyboard and see what I was doing. But my freshman year of high school, which coincided with my burgeoning rebelliousness (faux hawk, smoking, Dio, drinking, and other recreation), also brought along the required high school typing class. 

In order for you to have the appropriate vision of this memory, one needs to picture a fairly large classroom, larger than average, a bland linoleum floor, fluorescent banks of ceiling lights, and a wall of windows. In this room, the typical class of 36 students could each be seated at an individual typing desk equipped with an electric typewriter and a typing textbook, the kind that opened over the top, like a notepad so you could prop it up on a typing stand and copy various letter formats and engage in timed touch-type exercises. It was exactly the kind of class that raised my ire. I felt like it was an anathema to my sensibilities as a thinking person. When my peers suggested we skip class to go lay in the grass or on the sun warm, giant track and field landing mats, if I had typing, I readily agreed. 

I was a miserable typist. I hated the rote copying of memos, silly sentences, the formatting of letters that would never get sent. I hated that I wasn't supposed to look at my fingers. I hated the passion the teacher exhibited for typing, like he was having us run drills in the gymnasium complete with whistle. I think I remember a whistle, but maybe I'm making that part up. 

In any case, I do remember, on a day when I was not skipping class, I arrived to class early and in a sudden fit of inspiration (I was reading Jim Morrison's autobiography and Woody Guthrie's journals studying how to be a trouble maker), I went around the class emptying a box of Smarties into all of the typewriters. These typewriters predated the golfball type and still had the typebars/strikers that swung up to hit the platen. It was traditional for each class to start with a timed type where they teacher would call out a page number like he was preacher on a pulpit directing us in a hymnal, and we all dutifully flipped to that page, inserted a sheet of paper, and as he started a stopwatch, everyone would hammer away gleefully until he called for us to stop (or blew a whistle?) and we counted how many mistake free words we typed, if any. 

On this particular day, at the start of our timed type, a cascade of colorful candies flew through the air. It was glorious. Perhaps it was as much a figment of my imagination as the whistle, but in my memory Smarties flew through the air as the teacher waved in shock and dismay, landing all around his white and black saddle shoes. 

The funny thing is, despite my staunch resistance. Despite me getting a special report sent home for marking in the teacher's mark book (I know it isn't an excuse, but everyone did it when one day he stepped out of class and left his grade book on the table... we all ran up and checked off assignments as turned in). Despite all that, I somehow learned how to type--my fingers seek out the little nubs on the F and J, though I swear they used to be on D and K. I can type with my eyes closed. I can type while reading a book. I can type while watching Ron Carter play a bass solo. This teacher, taught me how to play my instrument. I feel bad that I can not remember his name. I imagine very few people returned to the high school to visit him and thank him for providing them with the most utilized tool from their high school education. 

I imagine it must have taken a special kind of perseverance to be a typing teacher and to do so with such verve. I cannot help but admire him for that. The mid-1980s were not kind to anyone that did not fit in. That included young Korean boys, and sprightly typing teachers. I hope that he survived the transition to keyboards at Digital Corporation terminals with the green monochrome monitors. I imagine it must have been a disorienting time to teach secretarial skills. When we imagine the transformation that occurred in the workplace and in education, there is perhaps no starker example, at least in my lifetime (aside perhaps from the science teacher who used to pour mercury on a tabletop to demonstrate its properties as we all crowded around in awe), than what happened with secretarial skills. Even so, it is the skill I use every day of my working life. 

Who knows what will be the typing of the future... that incredible skill... that aspect of knowledge that then opens the door to unimaginable possibilities? How could we know what that will be? Nobody knows, except perhaps for that teacher or professor who has dedicated their life to that one thing. Of course, it was probably self evident to the typing teacher that typing, even if taught on nearly outdated electric typewriters, was the skill of the future. It was the high school equivalent to "plastics" as mentioned in the movie, The Graduate

So, for all the teachers, who in addition to teaching Romeo and Juliet for the countless time, who are helping one more student multiply fractions, or indoctrinating yet another generation with United States Revolutionary War history, here's to you and the long term impacts you make on each of us.  

Incidentally, just this weekend, while raking leaves, I was remembering how my wrestling Coach Dave Baldanza taught us all how to sweep and mop (we had to sweep and mop the mats before every practice), and that I carry that knowledge with me through to today, though I am perhaps not as proficient with a mop as I am with the keyboard.

Take care,

Leo




From Our Friends:

From EducationAdminWebAdvisor:

Anti-Racism Revelations, Strategies, And Tactics: 3-Webinar Series For Higher Education 

Webinar 1:

Microaggressions: How To Identify And Combat Them In Your Workplace and School

Tuesday, November 10

3:00 PM Eastern; 2:00 PM Central; 1:00 PM Mountain; 12:00 PM Pacific

Webinar 2:

Anti-Racism In And Out Of The Classroom: How to Be An Ally For Higher Education Students

Thursday, November 12

3:00 PM Eastern; 2:00 PM Central; 1:00 PM Mountain; 12:00 PM Pacific

Webinar 3:

Case Studies Of Higher Ed Responses To Racism: Lessons To Learn For Your College

Tuesday, November 17

3:00 PM Eastern; 2:00 PM Central; 1:00 PM Mountain; 12:00 PM Pacific

 
 

From the Five College Center for East Asian Studies:

The University of Illinois Center for East Asian and Pacific Studies AsiaLENS program presents "Hiroshima Nagasaki Download," a film by Shinpei Takeda available until Friday, Nov. 13 at 5pm Central time.

"Two former high school friends drive from Canada to Mexico as they visit atomic bomb survivors from Hiroshima and Nagasaki that live in the States. During the trip, they record the piece of a modern history crucially important in Japanese collective psyche while exploring their own identities and revealing the reality of ongoing psychological scars." (2010/73mins)


My favorite screenshot of the year.

Today's Online Teaching Tips:

From Academic Impressions:

What does Biden's anticipated win mean for colleges?
Article | Education Dive 


Unlike Trump, who in his four years has displayed some antagonism toward higher ed, Biden has pledged to invest heavily in the sector. Read more


What will top Biden’s immediate to-do list?
Article | Community College Daily 


With a track record of supporting community colleges — coupled with a spouse who is a long-time champion of public two-year colleges — President-elect Joe Biden is likely to give community colleges a prominent role in not only his higher education plans but also economic and workforce development strategies. Read more



Biden's victory could be transformative
Article | Inside Higher Ed 


President-elect has vowed to spend much more. The vice president-elect is an HBCU graduate and supporter. The next first lady is a community college instructor. Read more.

From NISOD:

Effective online teaching combines rigorous course design with support strategies for remote learners. It is critical that faculty members and faculty leaders know about effective course design and instructional practices that help online students achieve their academic goals. Sessions presented during this convening inform online teaching and learning policies and practices that ensure remote students receive the most effective educational experience possible.Learn more!





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 1003, March 13, 2023

Day 999, March 9, 2023

Day 998, March 8, 2023